Position start date
November 1, 2023
Posting End Date
October 20, 2023
The Laboratory of Marco Todesco in the Michael Smith Laboratories at the University of British Columbia in Vancouver is looking for a Research Assistant/Technician 4.
The Research Technician will coordinate and contribute to research efforts on cannabis genetics and genomics projects. They will provide expertise in economic botany, genomics, bioinformatics, and population genetics to the ongoing research efforts in the laboratory. The individual will be joining a dedicated and highly motivated team of geneticists, molecular biologists, and evolutionary biologists. The work and environment are interdisciplinary, with the research focused on plant diversity and adaptation, comparative genomics and population genetics, domestication, and genomics-enabled crop improvement
-Designs, plans, and conducts population genetics analyses on large-scale genomics datasets, with a focus on understanding cannabis domestication history and biogeography
- Maintains and develops connections with collaborators in the cannabis research community, the cannabis industry, and with cannabis growers and breeders
- Manages and oversees efforts to generate , annotate, and curate high-quality genome assemblies.
- Develops and maintains second- and third generation sequencing datasets associated with different research projects
- Curates and maintains herbarium sample collections
- Develops novel bioinformatic pipelines and approaches to achieve research goals
- Analyzes experiment results and troubleshoots complex problems, especially those dealing with bioinformatics and population genomics experimental design
- Compiles data and writes reports, presents results, and participates in the preparation of scientific manuscripts and grant proposals
- Assists in training and onboarding of lab personnel
- Carries out any other related duties as required in keeping with the qualifications and requirements of positions in this classification
Posting End Date: October 20, 2023
Note: Applications will be accepted until 11:59 PM on the day prior to the Posting End Date above.
For more details about the position and to apply visit: