Job Title: Research Technician
Company: Cannabis Orchards Inc.
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Salary: $60,000 - $70,000 CAD per annum
Hours: Full-time, 40 hours per week (Monday - Friday)
Contract Duration: 12 months with the possibility of renewal based on performance and funding availability.
About Cannabis Orchards Inc.: Cannabis Orchards Inc is an innovative, research-driven biotechnology company focused on the production of innovative hemp varieties for their medicinal content. Cannabis Orchards offers a complete package for cannabis-derived therapeutic development, from new variety development, feminized seed production, biomass cultivation and research into clinical application. Cannabis Orchards is responsible for the introduction of the first CBG variety to Canada. It is also the first company to produce certified feminized hemp seed in Canada. Led by a medical doctor, and with a focus on improving patient outcomes, Cannabis Orchards seeks to offer new therapeutic options and expand the body of research on minor cannabinoids. The novel materials they produce are highly sought after by licensed producers, licensed extraction facilities, and the pharmaceutical industry. Learn more at cannabisorchards.ca
Job Description: We are seeking a dedicated and meticulous Research Technician for a temporary 12-month contract, with the possibility of renewal based on performance and funding availability. This role involves crucial participation in a comprehensive research project aimed at optimizing polyploidization techniques in hemp plants and developing new hemp varieties. The ideal candidate will be instrumental in the entire research process, from optimizing existing techniques to documenting and reporting findings. The majority of the project will be conducted on-site at our partnered institution Carleton University located at 1125 Colonel By Drive, Ottawa, ON, K1S 5B6.
- Lead the optimization of existing polyploidization techniques for hemp plants, ensuring the production of genetically stable tetraploid hemp plants.
- Utilize optimized techniques to cultivate tetraploid hemp plants, followed by rigorous testing and verification using flow cytometry and other analysis methods (e.g PCR).
- Conduct assessments of the physical and phytochemical traits of tetraploid plants, comparing growth patterns, cannabinoid profiles, and other relevant traits.
- Engage in the crossbreeding of tetraploid plants with diploid pollen donors to produce triploid (F1) seeds, managing the process using colloidal silver from initiation to the production of the first batch of seeds.
- Compile and document comprehensive research findings and methodologies, ensuring clear and detailed reporting of the polyploidization process, tetraploid plant characteristics, and initial crossbreeding outcomes.
- Assist with analysis of cannabinoid content via HPLC
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology, Agronomy, or a related field, OR Research Technician, Laboratory Technician, Biotechnology College Diploma or Equivalent
- Master’s degree or higher is preferred but not required
- Proven experience in plant genetics, breeding, or biotechnology is highly advantageous.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Strong background in plant biology, genetics, or a closely related field.
- Experience with polyploidization, flow cytometry, HPLC and genetic analysis is an asset.
- Ability to conduct meticulous and systematic research.
- Proficient in data collection, analysis, and reporting.
- Excellent communication skills for effective documentation and reporting.
- Strong collaborative skills for working effectively in a team-oriented environment.
How to Apply: Interested candidates are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter detailing their relevant experience and qualifications to firstname.lastname@example.org. We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Cannabis Orchards Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.